Friday 23 April 2010 Nudge, Nudge, Wink, Wink

I’m lucky enough to have a fairly short commute into work – a mile or so walk where my mind wanders where it will, followed by a bus ride where I can catch up with a little reading. As the bus rounds a particular corner, a story always nudges me, gives me a sly wink before slipping away.

It’s a story I wrote around 18 months back and set aside soon after, knowing something wasn’t quite right with it, but not sure exactly what or how to put it right. A story I’d more or less forgotten about, like many others that don’t seem to have that peculiar spark or whatever else it is that makes me think it’s something worthwhile.

Yet, every morning without fail, that story crops up; doesn’t matter how intent I am on what I’m reading or what else is on my mind, something just clicks in my head at a certain point on the journey and disappears again just as quickly.

It’s the click of a light switch as a bulb pops a fraction of a second later.

Quite frankly, it’s beginning to bug me, so I think it’s time to dig into the archives and take another look.

Maybe there’s something in that sorry tale after all.

Or maybe I just need to burn it and lay it to rest once and for all.

4 comments:

Rebecca Nazar said...

If it's that persistent with its nagging, tis wise not to burn it, would come back to haunt you. Good luck wrangling it.

Nice to see you back. : )

Lady Euphoria Deathwatch said...

I agree. It wants attention. pull it out and give it a once over every once in a while.

Let someone else have a look at it. Someone you trust and who will say, 'this is the spot that is just not right' not 'do this and it will be perfect.'

If it bugs you, you still want something from it. Even if it is just a lesson in how to fix it.

Euphoria

Michael Stone said...

And if you do decide a second pair of eyes (or one eye) would be helpful, drop me a line.

L.R. Bonehill said...

Becca – You’re right; word wrangling it is then.

L.E.D – Sound advice – thanks for stopping by.

Mike – Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. Be careful though; I may just take you up on that one day.